I learned this recipe from my mother. The main secret lies in it’s marination. You must marinate it for at least 8-10 hours. I keep it overnight for marination. So let’s cook it..
- Things needed :
- Chicken – 500 g
- Garlic – 8-10 pods ( peeled )
- Ginger – 2 inch piece ( peeled )
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp ( Though store-brought cumin powder can be used but I like to grind whole cumin seeds as it tastes better I feel )
- Red chili ( whole and large ) – 5
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp. I love to use turmeric paste. I generally buy raw turmeric and make paste from it
- Salt – as needed
- Cooking oil – 3-4 tbsp
- Onion – 1 large ( cut into thin slice )
- How to cook :
- Take garlic, ginger, whole cumin seeds, whole red chilies and water ( as needed ) to make a fine paste. Add salt and turmeric powder to it and mix well
- Now in a big bowl take the chicken pieces and add the paste and rub the chicken pieces really well. Make small cuts and cracks into the chicken pieces with a knife for the marinade to enter
- Now cover it and keep in your refrigerator for at least 8-10 hours
- Cut onion into thin slices
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the sliced onion until the colour changes slightly
- Now add the chicken pieces along with the marinade into the pan and fry for 5-7 minutes
- Add 2 cups of water ( or more ) and cook in a low flame covering the pan for at least 1 hour.
- Stir now and then and after 1 hour or so you’ll see oil floating on the top. Add salt if needed and remove from heat
Serve with hot rice.
Happy cooking 🙂