When I got my oven for the first time, I spent some time in baking cakes. After some failure and some success I became a bit confident to try my own recipe. It was like a new toy to me, always experimenting something with the oven. My first attempt to cook chicken in the oven was a total disaster, so let’s not talk about that and keep our discussion limited to the success stories.
And please keep that between you and me, will you?
One day I decided to experiment something with chicken and red wine. Now that was really really tasty, and so I’m going to pen down the recipe here. You are always welcome to suggest things that can enhance the goodness of this dish.
Baked chicken with red wine
- Chicken breast fillets ( cut into small to pieces )- 400 g
- Red wine – 6 tbsp. I used Castillo De Mureva Gran Reserva Valdepenas 2007 . I am no wine connoisseur, but I felt that a medium bodied red wine with fruity/spicy notes, like the one I used, would be appropriate for the dish
- Onion – 1 large : chopped into rings
- Garlic cloves – 3-4 : chopped thinly
- Garlic paste/ Garlic powder – 1tsp. If you are using garlic paste make a very fine paste of it
- Red bell pepper – 1/2 : chopped thinly. I used red bell pepper for the colour, you can always use bell pepper of your choice
- Green chilli – 3-4 : slit lengthwise
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Cooking oil – for greasing the baking tray
- Coriander leaves : chopped for garnishing
- In a bowl take the chicken pieces. Add salt, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, garlic paste/powder, red wine, chopped garlic. Rub the chicken pieces with all the ingredients very well and marinate for 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 190 °C/ 375 °F/ Gas Mark 5
- Grease the baking tray lightly with little oil. Put the chicken pieces in the baking tray and dress with little marinade. Do not use all the marinade, reserve some to soak the onion rings
- Bake the chicken pieces in oven for 20 minutes or till the chicken pieces are almost cooked
- In the meantime soak the onion rings and green chillies in the remaining marinade
- While baking if you see that the chicken pieces are becoming dry, baste with little marinade
- After the chicken pieces are almost cooked, add the onion rings and green chillies along with the remaining marinade in the baking tray and bake further 15 minutes or till the chicken is fully cooked. Be careful not to burn the onions. Take a look at the picture provided, the final dish should look like it
Remove from oven and garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with your favourite drink! Let me know if you think further improvement can be made.
I inherited this recipe from my mother, she cooks it so very well. The delicious smell of this curry drives me crazy and when I cooked this my husband also was happy like crazy. It tastes this well but very easy to prepare. The main secret lies in it’s marination. You must marinate it for at least 8-10 hours. I keep it overnight for marination. So let’s cook it..
Ingredients for marinade
Cooked chicken curry
- Chicken – 500 g
- Garlic – 8-10 pods ( peeled )
- Ginger – 2 inch piece ( peeled )
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp ( Though store-brought cumin powder can be used but I like to grind whole cumin seeds as it tastes better I feel )
- Red chili ( whole and large ) – 5
- Turmeric powder – 2 tsp. I love to use turmeric paste. I generally buy raw turmeric and make paste from it, because to me it feels tastier
- Salt – as needed
- Cooking oil – 3-4 tbsp
- Onion – 1 large ( cut into thin slice )
- Take garlic, ginger, whole cumin seeds, whole red chilies and water ( as needed ) to make a fine paste. Add salt and turmeric powder to it and mix well
- Now in a big bowl take the chicken pieces and add the paste and rub the chicken pieces really well. Since marinade won’t penetrate very far into the chicken, it is recommended to make small cuts and cracks into the chicken pieces with a knife for the marinade to enter
- Now cover it and keep in your refrigerator for at least 8-10 hours
- Cut onion into thin slices
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the sliced onion until it becomes transparent. In the meantime don’t forget to take out the chicken from refrigerator at least 15-20 minutes before cooking
- Now add the chicken pieces along with the marinade into the pan and fry for 5-7 minutes
- Add 2 cups of water ( or more ) and cook in a low flame covering the pan for at least 1 hour.
- Stir now and then and after 1 hour or so you’ll see thin oil floating on the top. Add salt if needed and remove from heat
Serve with hot rice and you’ll never forget the taste!!
Happy cooking 🙂
This one is my own recipe. I had some chicken and was wondering what new could be done with that easily on a lazy friday night. Thought to experiment and came up with this.
- Chicken – 500 g
- Fresh Cream – 3 tbsp
- Oregano – 2 tsp
- Vinegar – 4 tbsp
- White Oil – 4 tbsp
- Butter – 2 tsp
- Green Chili – 2 ( Cut lengthwise)
- Pepper Powder – 2 tsp
- Marinate the Chicken with vinegar for 1 hour or so
- Heat oil and fry the chicken pieces and try to make them little crisp
- Add salt, oregano,pepper powder, green chili and butter and cook for 10 minutes
- Add fresh cream and if needed a little water and cook till the chicken is done. Stir occasionally to avoid sticking in the bottom of the pan. Don’t dry the gravy too much or don’t leave gravy like soup
Serve hot with rice/fried-rice/paratha etc.
Happy Cooking 🙂