When I got my oven for the first time, I spent some time in baking cakes. After some failure and some success I became a bit confident to try my own recipe. It was like a new toy to me, always experimenting something with the oven. My first attempt to cook chicken in the oven was a total disaster, so let’s not talk about that and keep our discussion limited to the success stories.
And please keep that between you and me, will you?
One day I decided to experiment something with chicken and red wine. Now that was really really tasty, and so I’m going to pen down the recipe here. You are always welcome to suggest things that can enhance the goodness of this dish.
- Things needed :
- Chicken breast fillets ( cut into small to pieces )- 400 g
- Red wine – 6 tbsp. I used Castillo De Mureva Gran Reserva Valdepenas 2007 . I am no wine connoisseur, but I felt that a medium bodied red wine with fruity/spicy notes, like the one I used, would be appropriate for the dish
- Onion – 1 large : chopped into rings
- Garlic cloves – 3-4 : chopped thinly
- Garlic paste/ Garlic powder – 1tsp. If you are using garlic paste make a very fine paste of it
- Red bell pepper – 1/2 : chopped thinly. I used red bell pepper for the colour, you can always use bell pepper of your choice
- Green chilli – 3-4 : slit lengthwise
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tsp
- Black pepper powder – 1/2 tsp
- Salt – as needed
- Cooking oil – for greasing the baking tray
- Coriander leaves : chopped for garnishing
- How to cook :
- In a bowl take the chicken pieces. Add salt, red chilli powder, black pepper powder, garlic paste/powder, red wine, chopped garlic. Rub the chicken pieces with all the ingredients very well and marinate for 1 hour
- Preheat oven to 190 °C/ 375 °F/ Gas Mark 5
- Grease the baking tray lightly with little oil. Put the chicken pieces in the baking tray and dress with little marinade. Do not use all the marinade, reserve some to soak the onion rings
- Bake the chicken pieces in oven for 20 minutes or till the chicken pieces are almost cooked
- In the meantime soak the onion rings and green chillies in the remaining marinade
- While baking if you see that the chicken pieces are becoming dry, baste with little marinade
- After the chicken pieces are almost cooked, add the onion rings and green chillies along with the remaining marinade in the baking tray and bake further 15 minutes or till the chicken is fully cooked. Be careful not to burn the onions. Take a look at the picture provided, the final dish should look like it
Remove from oven and garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot with your favourite drink! Let me know if you think further improvement can be made.