I inherited this recipe from my mother, she cooks it so very well. The delicious smell of this curry drives me crazy and when I cooked this my husband also was happy like crazy. It tastes this well but very easy to prepare. The main secret lies in it’s marination. You must marinate it for at least 8-10 hours. I keep it overnight for marination. So let’s cook it..
- Things needed :
- Chicken – 500 g
- Garlic – 8-10 pods ( peeled )
- Ginger – 2 inch piece ( peeled )
- Cumin seeds – 2 tsp ( Though store-brought cumin powder can be used but I like to grind whole cumin seeds as it tastes better I feel )
- Red chili ( whole and large ) – 5
- Turmeric powder – 2 tsp. I love to use turmeric paste. I generally buy raw turmeric and make paste from it, because to me it feels tastier
- Salt – as needed
- Cooking oil – 3-4 tbsp
- Onion – 1 large ( cut into thin slice )
- How to cook :
- Take garlic, ginger, whole cumin seeds, whole red chilies and water ( as needed ) to make a fine paste. Add salt and turmeric powder to it and mix well
- Now in a big bowl take the chicken pieces and add the paste and rub the chicken pieces really well. Since marinade won’t penetrate very far into the chicken, it is recommended to make small cuts and cracks into the chicken pieces with a knife for the marinade to enter
- Now cover it and keep in your refrigerator for at least 8-10 hours
- Cut onion into thin slices
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the sliced onion until it becomes transparent. In the meantime don’t forget to take out the chicken from refrigerator at least 15-20 minutes before cooking
- Now add the chicken pieces along with the marinade into the pan and fry for 5-7 minutes
- Add 2 cups of water ( or more ) and cook in a low flame covering the pan for at least 1 hour.
- Stir now and then and after 1 hour or so you’ll see thin oil floating on the top. Add salt if needed and remove from heat
Serve with hot rice and you’ll never forget the taste!!
Happy cooking 🙂